Some Other Cool NY Tech Jobs
Mobile DeveloperEmployeeStartup | New York Public Radio
"To make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the spirit more joyful."
- Location: New York
- Date Posted: April 20, 2012
About This Job:
About the Position: New York Public Radio seeks a mobile developer with proven skills in programming native iOS and/or Android apps, an interest in design and UI and a passion for public media, new technology, and crowd-sourced journalism. You will build for the web, mobile phones and tablets to integrate journalism, culture and media contributed by local and national shows, reporters and a dedicated participatory community. You will work as part of an agile team to support WNYC, the nation’s largest public radio station, as well as WQXR, The Greene Space, New Jersey Public Radio and such national shows as Radiolab, On the Media, The Takeaway and Studio 360.
- Participate in UI and application design. Assist with ongoing development, analysis and strategy to improve user experiences at NYPR. Work closely with team members to enhance our mobile experience both in-app and for the mobile-web.
- Develop and improve mobile applications for consumption of news, media, and community participation. Leverage native mobile platform capabilities for the best experiences with interactivity, sound, geolocation/mapping, and user generated content.
- Evaluate and leverage frameworks/libraries for integration into NYPR's diverse needs in media, participation and data-visualization.
- Engage in local and open-source communities for mobile and front-end development.
- Bachelor's degree in CS or equivalent experience
- Three years professional experience in software development
- Excellent programming skills and familiarity with the iOS and/or Android platform
- Knowledge of Web 2.0 technologies including AJAX and social networking
- Ability and eagerness to teach yourself new skills with minimal hand-holding
- Proven ability to meet deadlines with acute attention to detail and to work on several projects concurrently
- Ability to work extended hours as needed, including some evenings and weekends, and to be on-call for emergencies required
- Open-source project participation
- A public github/gitorious/launchpad/etc portfolio
- Mobile UI design skills
- Web development experience
- Familiarity with version control systems like bazaar, hg, or git
- Experience with Rails/Django
All positions at NYPR require:
- The intellectual and emotional depth, maturity, self-confidence and interpersonal skills to work effectively with the senior leadership team, colleagues, staff and external partners and provide motivation at all levels of an organization
- Excellent communication skills—both oral and written—with an impressive reputation for building and maintaining relationships with people at all levels of an organization, across a diverse range of cultural, generational, ethnic, racial, educational and social backgrounds
- Use of a computer, telephone and other office and/or broadcast equipment.
- Ability to communicate effectively through a variety of methods including but not limited to; Microsoft Office software, internet based applications for internal and external communications
- Affinity for New York Public Radio; WNYC and/or WQXR content and mission a plus
- Compliance with NYPR policies and guidelines
- Ability to work extended hours as needed
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees, and are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer. New York Public Radio is an Equal Opportunity Employer and invites and encourages qualified applicants from all walks of life.
Click on the link to see a more detailed position specification and to Apply: http://wny.cc/IgJrZo Please submit cover letter with salary requirements and resume. New York Public Radio must receive all information requested in order to consider your candidacy.
COMPANY PROFILE – ABOUT NEW YORK PUBLIC RADIO "To make the mind more curious, the heart more open and the spirit more joyful." - New York Public Radio Mission Statement New York Public Radio is home to three of the country’s leading public radio stations—WNYC 93.9 FM, WNYC AM 820, and WQXR 105.9 FM—as well as the Jerome L. Greene Performance Space. As America’s most listened-to public radio stations* and New York's premier multi-platform public radio franchise, it collectively reaches a monthly audience of more than11.5 million. WNYC and wnyc.org: WNYC is a major producer of original, award-winning local and national content. It originates for public radio nationwide programs and podcasts like Radiolab, The Takeaway, Freakonomics, On The Media and Studio 360. WNYC maintains a centralized newsroom and its award-winning reporters contribute regularly to online and local news broadcasts and to the nationally-distributed news programs Morning Edition, All Things Considered, Marketplace and The Takeaway. Also, WNYC produces the signature daily programs The Brian Lehrer Show, The Leonard Lopate Show, Soundcheck and New Sounds. Five WNYC programs — Radiolab, On the Media, Studio 360, The Brian Lehrer Show, and Radio Rookies, its youth journalism program serving teens in all five boroughs, have been recognized with George Foster Peabody Awards, the highest honor in broadcasting journalism. WNYC’s original content is available to people wherever they are via mobile platforms, online audio streams, podcasts and social media. In addition, WNYC presents the best national offerings from networks National Public Radio, Public Radio International, American Public Media, and the British Broadcasting Company, broadcasting a wide range of daily news, talk, cultural and music programming. WQXR and wqxr.org: Classical 105.9 WQXR is New York City’s sole classical music station, presenting new and landmark classical recordings as well as live concerts from the Carnegie Hall, Metropolitan Opera and the New York Philharmonic, among other New York City venues, immersing listeners in the city’s rich musical life. WQXR.org also hosts Q2, an HD broadcast and web stream dedicated to discovery, giving listeners an opportunity to experience exceptional music, classic and contemporary, that they likely have not heard before. WQXR’s smart, engaging hosts provide distinctive context for the music they love to play. And wqxr.org serves the global classical music community through online listening, playlists, host blogs and New York City cultural news. WQXR also offers Metropolitan Opera Radio Saturday Matinee Broadcasts, The Philharmonic This Week, McGraw Hill Young Artists Showcase evenings, and Symphony Hall. The Jerome L. Greene Performance Space and thegreenespace.org: Our street-front broadcast studio and performance venue produces a full season of original programming – as well as WNYC and WQXR shows, concerts and events – for live, radio and online audiences. It is becoming an anchor in our growing, exciting Hudson Square neighborhood in lower Manhattan. (*Source: Arbitron)Tweet