Some Other Cool NY Tech Jobs
Forward-Thinking Sr. Systems Engineer / DevOpsEmployeeStartup | Temboo
We build tools that make app development simpler.
- Location: NYC or Portland, OR
- Date Posted: June 05, 2012
About This Job:
Puppet vs. Chef vs. Rightscale templates. (Is there a way to do better?) New Relic stats, Pingdom, Nagios and Cacti. Zero-downtime releases. Finding better ways to aggregate data and provide crystal-clear systems visibility. (Syslog, Splunk, something else?) Interested? If so, please read on… At Temboo, we’re building tools that make developer’s lives easier: our next-gen SDK makes it nearly effortless to integrate apps with cloud-based services. We’re a small, talented, diverse group – what unites us is our passion for building great products that empower our users. We understand that working smart is more important than working hard (although we do work hard), and believe that there’s no substitute for an individual commitment to excellence. We’re looking for an entrepreneurial, technically deep Senior Systems Engineer to join our ops team, and play a central role in building our fast-growing infrastructure. Our platform is heavily cloud-based with supporting datacenter systems; our clustered server architecture is built to scale on demand, and we handle millions of job-executions, transactions and log messages per day. Some of the technologies in our stack include Hadoop, HBase, GlusterFS, Scribe, Jetty and HAProxy. We rely on our ops team to make key design recommendations and to provide a scalable, reliable 24x7 environment.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
- Playing a key role in the specification, design and implementation of significant projects (consultant or lead)
- Working independently on projects while interacting with our product and dev teams
- Understanding the big picture of how our systems work together, identifying points of friction and finding creative, effective solutions
- Taking direct responsibility for the reliability of our environment, including participating in a 24x7 call rotation
- Contributing to reviews to improve our dev/ops team practices
- Doing hands-on coding/debugging of scripts, systems configuration, etc.
- Actively researching and recommending new technologies
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU
- 4+ years professional Linix system administration experience
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal; comfortable presenting ideas
- Excellent at teamwork and coordinating with team members both inside ops and beyond
- Deep technical acumen, covering systems, storage, network, service automation, data centers and configuration management systems
- Experience managing datastore clusters such as Hadoop, Cassandra, or GlusterFS
- Past startup or late-startup experience
- Open-minded, flexible, eager for new challenges, a team player, a sense of humor
Our unique company culture promotes individual contribution, innovation, and the belief that work should also be fun. We offer competitive compensation, flexible working hours, a casual office environment, and respect for individual contribution and autonomy. We're looking for people who have interests outside of work as well (please mention some of these in your cover letter if you like). Does this sound like you? If so, drop us a line!Tweet